Hyde Heath - History
The hamlet name of Hyde Heath refers to the value of the estate that once stood there. The heath was valued at the price of one hide, an amount of land enough to support one free family and its dependants.
The Village has two churches. The Baptists were active in Hyde Heath from the 1800’s and the chapel is now a house called "The Olde Chapel" on the Common. In 1932 the current chapel in Bray's Lane called "Union Chapel" was built. There was also a Mission Room of Little Missenden Church in Hyde Heath in the 1880s and 1890s. After Hyde Heath School was built the Parish of Chesham held services in the school and then built a Mission Room in 1909. This is now called St Andrew's Church and is part of Little Missenden Parish.
In the early 1900’s Hyde Heath comprised of a few houses, mostly occupied by local farm workers along with three pubs, two shops and a school together with the two churches already mentioned. A chair bodger who made chair legs for the High Wycombe furniture industry and a blacksmith also worked in the Village. There were two local brick kilns, one at Hyde End (which became a coffin factory during WW2) and the other at Copperkins Lane. One of the educational ‘treats’ for children at that time was a half-day visit to see how bricks were made. Neither kiln exists now.
Most of the houses and bungalows in the Village in the 1930’s were clustered close to the Post Office in Brays Lane and Weedon Hill. The Post Office is today a private residence opposite the Village Shop and Village Hall. The Hyde End side of the Village has not extended beyond Mantles Green Cottage but the Amersham side has extended over the years to Keepers Lane and includes the Walnut Way estate, which was previously a cherry orchard. Plums were also grown locally and during WW2 the ladies of the Women’s Institute made jam. The Queen Mother visited Hyde Heath when Queen in 1940 as part of her tour of villages.
The Village Hall was erected in memory of the fallen of WW1. It is now called the Memorial Hall and also houses the Village Shop .